Thursday, June 19, 2008

Do you beleive in ghosts?


Since I was about ten or eleven, I have pondered about ghosts. Do they exist or are they the imaginings of some creative minds? Since I was a teenager I have felt I have been visited by some 'other-worldly' beings. Nothing dramatic like the things you have seen in Poltergeist or Amityville Horror (Thank God!). Just gentle, wondering, soft things that maybe unwittingly, have revealed they are nearby. A word spoken, a touch on the shoulder, a brush against the back of my legs. A lamp that turned itself off and on. Most of these experiences were preceded by the smell of burnt oranges - or that is the smell I perceived it to be. In the picture above you will see the Strickland House. It is located on Buford Hwy in Duluth, GA. This shot was taken from the parking lot which is located on the left if you were facing the front door of the house. A little history about the house itself...The house was built in 1898 by Henry Strickland, Jr for himself and his wife Alice. Henry died in 1915 and his wife, Alice, continued to live in the house until she died in 1947. Alice eventually became the first female mayor of Georgia when she became mayor of Duluth in 1921. In a little booklet published by the current owner of the house, Alice Ziegler (great granddaughter of Alice Strickland), it states that at one time the house served as a children's hospital. The current overseers are the son of Alice Ziegler and his wife. According to the son, the night they moved into the house to manage the property, he placed his great-great grandfather's clock on the mantel and left it there. It was for looks only, as the clock had not worked at all in all the twenty something years it had been in possession. According to his story, the clock began chiming the hour in the wee hours of the morning that night. Now, take a look back at the picture shown above. If you look at the bottom floor, you will see a glassed in porch, a modern addition to the house when it was being used as an antiques store. If you start with the window on the left of the porch, the one which a light post partially conceals, and count over to the 3rd window, you will see someone standing and looking out towards the backyard of the house. I took this picture from my car one Friday afternoon when I was alone at the office. No one besides me was at the house that day. No one but me, and Alice? Do I believe in ghosts? Maybe...

1 comment:

Theresa Coleman said...

You know my opinion. I KNOW where there are ghosts in L'ville.

Just sayin'.