Sunday, June 14, 2009

Blast from the Past: 1984 (and making ammends)


Christmas 1984. I was 23, Arthur was 3, and my dad was a Keystone Cop - ha! ha! I have long hair for another two years after this picture and after that it's rarely got past my shoulders. It did actually get down to my waist before I cut it. Notice the 'wings'...a continuation of the style made popular by Farrah Fawcett during my high school years. At that time, I had real eyebrows too. Now, after 25 years of plucking, they barely grow, except in places I don't want them to grow.

In the year following the time this photo was taken, me and my dad had a 'falling-out'. I am pretty certain that this occasion is the last time we were photographed together and the last time we were comfortable with each other. We had a disagreement over his wife's language in front of Arthur, and he refused to speak to her about it, so we stopped speaking and seeing each other.

Over the next twenty years we barely had any communication and only saw each other a couple of times. I had finally decided to try and make amends with my dad and was trying to muster my courage and decide how to go about doing so, but before I got around to actually taking action, I got the call that my dad had died from a heart attack. I never got to tell him that I still loved him despite all the years of silence and despite all the hurtful things that transpired between us. As a little girl, Daddy was the one who took care of me when I was sick and comforted me, and encouraged me to be more. I don't know what happened to us, except stubbornness and meanness on the part of other persons.

If you have someone in your life with whom you need to make amends, I urge you, do it before it is too late.

No comments: