Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009


I had a great Father's Day with my Dad (step dad Ed) and my former father-in-law, Hollis. B2 and his girlfriend provided lunch (Zaxby's) and I brought the dessert (Strawberry Pretzel Salad) and me, my Mom, B2 and his Girlfriend had a good time just sitting around and talking and laughing. B1 and his family didn't make it over...B1 was in Jasper, Georgia with our cousin (camping on the mountain) and my sister-in-law was probably getting caught up on some much needed sleep.

Ed is doing quite well after his second treatment of Avastin and other chemo drugs. So far he has had no bad side effects. I cannot help but wonder if those side effects are coming some time down the road. He goes for treatment 3 on July 1st and I will be going with him for that treatment. Ed said the Baby Bro did much better getting along with the Cancer Center staff this go-round (giggle). B2 also packed a lunch for them and they 'picnicked' in their private IV-drip room. Ed and I have already discussed it and when we go on July 1st I am going to make a 'food run' near lunch time...maybe to Checkers, maybe Mickey D's, maybe Arby's. We haven't decided yet. It is a day long affair, so I will be taking snacks, drinks, and reading material.

I also got to see Hollis (aka Papa) and Mary Kate (aka Nanny) today...my former in-laws who I still love dearly and am still friends with...or I would rather say, still family with. Nanny treated Papa and I with BBQ chicken strips, stewed squash, real mash potatoes, pinto beans, stewed cabbage and cornbread. There was also some cucumber/onion salad and fruit salad complements of her friend Hokey. (sp?) It was a delicious meal and a wonderful time of visiting. I don't get to see them enough and I really enjoyed just laughing, (crying) and cutting up with them.

The Hubster spent the afternoon at his Dad's also. His dad does not feel up to visitor's as of late, so just Hubster and his sister spent time with him. Hubster got a treat bag with articles of clothing he needed for Father's Day...because he is so hard to buy for!

Thanks to all the Dads out there for just being Good Dads. And to all the Dads who aren't good dads, I pray for you, because you don't know what you are missing. And to all you future Dads, just take notes from the Good Dads. I thank God for all my Dads...Ed (step dad) who has been my dad since I was seven, My Dad, (biological), who was a Good Dad until he married my 2nd stepmother and then he got sidetracked, but I love him anyways, God rest his Soul, Thanks to Poppa (former-father-in-law) for being there when I needed him during my marriage and divorced years from his son, and to my current father-in-law who has loved us in his silent but generous way.

No comments: