Sunday, October 26, 2008

Birthday Celebration

We celebrated Arthur's birthday a bit early this year...her birthday fell on a work night, so we changed her birth date just for this year. We had a nice dinner and then went to see DRACULA at the Aurora Theater. The play was good, but towards the end I started to yawn a bit. Arthur is 27 this year. Wow! I had her when I was 20. I looked 16. In fact, the nurses run around whispering and avoiding eye contact until I caught on and told them I was 20. Which is young in itself, but I could only imagine what they were thinking. Arthur's daddy looked younger than his years too. We were babies having a baby. I was scared to death and so was he. But when she finally came out into the world and was laid on my chest, she looked at me with those big, round, blue eyes and my heart swelled and burst with love. I then had the courage to face whatever came. I also knew that all the morning (and afternoon and evening) sickness, the fear, the pain, was worth every minute of it. And I knew I had a friend for life. She has been everything I ever dreamed she would be, and more. There were times in my life when I felt like God had turned his back on me, but then I'd see her little face, and I knew he was there. She gave me a reason to get up on the days I felt like I couldn't. She gave me hope when I felt like there was none. Wanting the best for her made me strive to make a better life for us and to set high standards. Having her was proof that God had a plan for me. Over the years we have had our struggles...we both wanted control. I finally had to believe that she would make good choices, and let go. And she has done well. She is a woman now, but when she laughs, I see the twinkle in her eyes and the dimples in her cheeks that were her trademark as a little girl. She is grown, but will always be my baby.

No comments: