Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cholesterol

Back on April 1, 2008, I was laid off from my job of five years. I immediately signed up for unemployment benefits and began job searching, and started exercising and eating healthier.

Within a few months I had lost five pounds. I went for my check up in July, and learned I had high cholesterol. My doctor wanted me to go on medications to lower it, but I asked her couldn't I try something else first? She hesitated and wrote the prescription anyways. I didn't get it filled.

Instead, I began running and eating even more healthier. Next, I joined Weight Watchers with my daughter and ate even healthier and lost another 20 pounds.

I went week before last to get my blood work again. Guess what!? After all that exercising, and all that dieting, my cholesterol reading did not go down even one point! Want to talk about disappointing!

At 115 pounds I have gastric reflux disease, (which I have had since my early twenties), high blood pressure, seasonal allergies (year round), and now, high cholesterol. So that is 3 pills I have to take each day now. Oh! And add to the fact I am still ovulating, I still take birth control pills, make that 4. I also take a children's Flintstone multi-vitamin a day (per WW advise) and various other vitamins and supplements on a non-regular basis.

So, when you see those ads in your magazines about the two kinds of cholesterol you may have - the kind you get from food and the kind you inherit from Dear Old Dad, well, I've got the kind you get from DOD.

I'm becoming your regular, everyday, pill-popper.

No comments: