Monday, July 21, 2008

All Tuckered Out!

Poor Lex! He is all tuckered out. He spent all morning watching out the back window, his eyes fixed on the bird bath, and tail swatting back and forth. He watched as the robin took her morning splash, the blue jay taking a long, leisurely drink, and the wren who took little sips and then wiggled her tail and took off. But mostly, he was captivated by the squirrel. The squirrel crawled several feet up the neighboring tree and then lept over onto the bowl of the bird bath. After looking left and looking right, he put his front paws just inside the rim of the bowl to brace himself, then lowered his head and drank. If Lex could have gone through the window, he would have gave chase. But the squirrel is lucky. Lex is strictly a house cat. He has been declawed and hasn't set foot outside in over two years, since he came to live with us. We can't let Lex or his companion, Blacky, out for two very good reasons. A) They might bring in fleas and the Hubster is extremely alergic to flea bites. B) They are declawed and it would be very hard for them to defend themselves. They can't climb trees and any attempts at swatting would be harmless.Also, we have two dog neighbors who would love to kill them. One is a chihuahua/terrior mix and the other is just a mutt. They are rather pampered and spoiled by their people. They are never leashed (even though we have a leash law in Walton County). They come into my yard and do their 'business' even if I am hanging out my window screaming and yelling and shaking my fist. (A whole nother post subject for another day). They once killed a stray cat that was hanging around my house. The kitty and about four of his siblings and mother had made a home on my front porch. I gave them food and water while I contemplated what to do with them. The neighbor dogs were let out about 11:00pm one night and they came on my porch and made much noise chasing and barking and knocking things over and they killed one kitty, leaving his lifeless body on my driveway. Leaving me saddened that my porch was not a safe haven. (I never saw the other kitties again). So, you see, I cannot let my cats outside. So, to compensate, I let the blinds up and leave water and food for the wildlife. The back window provides many hours of fun watching the birds, squirrels and chipmonks. The front window looks out onto the porch and they enjoy watching the tiny green lizards and the wasps that get trapped between the screen and window. We are having our porch screened in. When it is finished my cats will get a step closer to the great outdoors! (I am so excited for them). But for now, they have to be content with open windows. And some days, Lex is so tuckered out he just collapses on the sideboard. But after he rests, he'll be up again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple solution: just duct tape a knife around Lex's little paw and let him go at the birds and squirrels...ninja style. Normally I'm against using duct tape, but since cats don't have opposable thumbs, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep that knife on there...

Theresa Coleman said...

Lex is beautiful. He looks SO much like Johnny they could be brothers.

Thinking about you!