Friday, July 4, 2008

God Bless America! My Home Sweet Home!


Today is the 47th time my country has celebrated Independence Day since my birth. This was the first year I actually watched fireworks in several years. The first time I took Arthur to see fireworks, she was about two and half. I took her to Briscoe Park, Snellville, to see the fireworks over the pond. She cried. I just held her in my lap and covered her ears. The first time I took Courage, she was probably a little more than a year old. We parked in the lot by what we now call the 'Dollar Movies' in Lawrenceville and sat on a little hill on blankets and ate hotdogs. Of course when the fireworks started, she cried. The spot by the 'Dollar Movies' became our choice spot to watch over the next 10 years or so, until the kids lost interest in going.

Tonight, Courage is off with the BF and his family, taking in the display at the Lawrenceville Court House. (The same display we watched from the parking lot spot). The hubster went to feed his dad and put him to bed. I got invited to Arthur's to watch a big display a neighboring church was having. Me and her and her BF sat in her bitty backyard and watched and ate cupcakes and icecream. It was fun. Except the bugs biting our toes! Neighborhood kids ran and squealed and played. A few eager beavers sat off little firecrackers and sparklers. Some folks across the way had 80's music blaring from a car stereo. Just good old fashioned red-neck fun.

I am so thankful to God that I live in the U.S.A. and that we can celebrate our Independence. I am so thankful to all the men and women, young and old and in-between, that have given their time, their care, their lives, so that me and everyone else in the U.S. can be free.

Ten More Reasons To Be Thankful:
10. I am free to go to the church of my choice.
9. I am free to go where I like and not be questioned.
8. I am free to marry and have children; there are no limits to the number of children I am allowed to have.
7. I can choose to accept or turn down a job.
6. Me and my children can go to school, as long as we wish to go.
5. I can own property.
4. I have the right to speak freely and write freely and read freely.
3. I can vote.
2. There are people braver and smarter than myself, who fight to keep me free.
1. I can love God, I can worship God.

I wish everyone a Happy and Safe Independence Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great blog post! It's so true that we have a great country, and your list is wonderful. We recently watched the movie Persepolis and I'd recommend it!

Theresa Coleman said...

I love your list.
I just say "me too!"