Thursday, July 24, 2008

Selling Yourself

I hate job interviews. It is all about selling yourself. It is about putting your best foot forward; putting on your best interview suit, having the perfect hair and makeup, having the perfect answers for those ridiculous questions they are going to ask-not to mention your resume needs to smartly list all your qualifications for this particular position in a one page format that will blow any manager's socks off.

I had a job interview today. I am not so sure I sold myself. The display just wasn't up to Neiman Marcus quality. It was more like an end-cap at Walmart.

I say this because, A) my interview suit felt a little outdated. My last job did not require me to dress to the 'Nines', and honestly, I just wore something hanging in my closet. I suppose I should go shopping for a real, stylish, interview suit. Something in navy blue, gray or black. And get some heels and maybe put on a string of pearls. Yeah, I wore brown today. With boring brown flats. Hoop earrings. B) The perfect hair didn't happen. I have not had a hair cut in about three months. I want to grow it out. Why? I don't know. I guess I like looking like a witch or something. So, shoulder length, baby-fine, gray at the roots hair, not so sharp. Yes, I did wash it and even put it up in hot rollers. The heat wilted the curl when I stepped outside to get my car. C) I forgot I was out of foundation. So I dug out what was left of the little pot and made do with what I could scrape out and powder and blush. Hmmm. D) The questions...oh man, I got tired of those after I realized my interviewer was asking the same question over and over, but just re-wording it so as to try to trick me. Or maybe she just wasn't getting the response she wanted?

Here are some of the questions....and the answers I WANTED to give, but didn't. Because I am too polite (a.k.a. chicken).

1) Why are you interested in our Accounting Position?

Because the economy really sucks right now and yours is one of the few job openings I have found that actually pertains to my area of expertise. I don't really want to drive this far for a job, but hey, I'm beginning to feel desperate. Unemployment benefits don't last forever you know.

2) Describe your job duties at your last job.

Well, I was the office manager and was in charge of accounts payable, receivables, billing, human resources, payroll, receptionist, and head doo-flunky. Of course, the last year I worked there, there may have been three checks received per week, four invoices to produce, six bills to pay, and only two other employees besides myself on payroll, so I spent most of my time reading for school or doing crossword puzzles on-line.

3. Describe a time you were challenged in your job to not lose your temper.

You see, we had this delivery person who delivered stuff to us that we had ordered and when he came in everyone in the office hid but I couldn't because I sat at the front desk and he was from Louisiana and he was very difficult to understand and he would go on and on about his pet dogs and pet cats and then he would see pictures on my desk of my kids and my cats and he would ask questions like what are their names, how are they, (not just the kids, the cats too) and then he would tell me about Poopsie who died twelve years ago and Fido who is eighteen years old and pukes up his food everyday and poops in the house but he loves him anyways and he and his wife let Fido sleep in the bed between them because they never had kids, they couldn't have kids and well, Fido was like a child to them....yeah, every time he came. It went on for at least 40 minutes each visit. I took the pictures of my kids and cats off my desk.

4. What did you do at your last job?

Hmmm. Well, I input cash received, I billed out the work we did, I paid the employees, I answered the phone. As long as it lasted.

5. Would you describe yourself as aggressive?

I don't think so. Once my boss told me what a relief it must be my Granny died, that I don't have that burden anymore. I wheeled around and said 'She was not a burden'. I felt really aggressive and ticked off. And he said, 'Did you say something?'. I said 'Excuse me. Gotta go to the bathroom'.

6. What would you say the most challenging part of your job was?

Uh, trying to stay busy and trying to look busy when I wasn't busy and trying to find something to do when I was tired of trying to look busy.

7. So, why did your boss lay you off?

Your kidding, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done a lot of interviewing in my day, and here's what your answers say about you (to me):

1) Why are you interested in our Accounting Position?

Because the economy really sucks right now and yours is one of the few job openings...

You are realistic about the economic situation right now and you are willing to make sacrifices for the right position.

2) Describe your job duties at your last job.

Well, I was the office manager and ....I spent most of my time reading for school or doing crossword puzzles on-line.

You like to stay busy with real work, you like to have something to challenge you. Not having enough to do really bugged you. You are a productive person and want to be somewhere your skills are needed and appreciated

3. Describe a time you were challenged in your job to not lose your temper.

....." he would go on and on about his pet dogs and pet cats and then he would see pictures on my desk of my kids and my cats and he would ask questions like what are their names, ..."

You are sociable, but only to a point. You want to focus on your work and get it done, not participate in office politics and chit chat all day...PS You probably should have called his employer and told them that although you all appreciate his kind nature, you have work to get done.

5. Would you describe yourself as aggressive?

..."Once my boss told me what a relief it must be my Granny died, that I don't have that burden anymore. I wheeled around and said 'She was not a burden'. "

Only when boundaries are crossed that should make anyone irritated. You are assertive and will stand up for yourself and the company's needs, but you aren't going out looking for trouble with anyone.

6. What would you say the most challenging part of your job was?

Uh, trying to stay busy and trying to look busy when I wasn't busy and trying to find something to do when I was tired of trying to look busy.

this shows you are not a faker. You don't want to pretend to be busy, you want to make a real contribution. See #2 ...this answer mirrors that trait.

---
So, I would say, DO answer with what's on your mind, but delete anything that can be construed negatively. You can give your answers but then follow them up with the character trait they represent.

Carolyn Chapple said...

I was being pretty sarcastic in this blog entry...but you are right, my main concern in my last position was staying busy, being productive, and also wanted to earn the salary I was being paid. I am sociable and I love people, but I feel guilty when the socializing gets out of hand...again just want to earn that money. Somewhere in my work history someone impressed upon me that wasting time at work (don't get me wrong, everyone needs a break during the work day, just not excessive breaks!)that receiving a salary for work NOT done, is the same as stealing. So I do my darnedest to limit 'goofing off'.

Anonymous said...

I tend to perhaps overdo working at jobs, and it seems like every one I have had ends up taking advantage of me...the boss piling up more and more until I have to quit rather than lose my mind! So now I'm kind of scared that eventually I'll need to go back into the 'working world' and I really prefer working at home.