Monday, September 29, 2008

Another update on the home improvements...




Picture 1. The work goes on...The container guy came and hauled off the big container full of siding and other construction debris and brought a smaller container for any remaining trash.

Picture 2. Here is OBF on the cherry picker, prying off old boards.

Picture 3. This shot will give you a better idea of how high up he is!

Picture 4. Here is one of the other workers working on caulking the area under the porch roof.

We have 5 paint samples on the front porch wall now, and the Hubster and I have agreed on a color. Now we will have samples of shutters brought in so we can pick shutter shades.

The rear windows, which were special ordered, have not come in yet. That is holding up getting the siding in back completed. OBF said they can start painting other areas until those windows come in. Before that, they still have some trim and caulking and etc. to do.

Take a good look at that rail around the porch, because it is going bye-bye. We are having the front porch screened in, and BFO said the best way to do this is to remove the railing and build a 30" 'wall' all around the perimeter of the porch, complete with siding, then frame it up for screen the rest of the way up.

I am hoping and praying that it will look good. I want the screened in porch for several reasons.
a) to be able to sit out on the porch and enjoy being 'outdoors' without being attached by bees and mosquitoes (which are very, very prevalent around this house - maybe because of the small drainage creek-like thing that runs down the side of our property and across the road).
b) to have another area that can be used for entertaining as we have a small dining area and small living room, and no den.
c) my kitties, who are both strictly indoor cats, can go 'outside' and enjoy fresh air
d) it will be my 'retreat' for reading, sipping coffee, and bird and squirrel watching.

I waited all summer for deck furniture to go on clearance, and finally, in August, Walmart marked their deck furniture way, way, down. I got a love seat, two side chairs, a chaise lounge and glass top table all for about $350.00. The are brown 'wicker' with orange, yellow and brown paisley patterned cushions. I also a closely matching table at Big Lots that will tie in nicely. I have found a 4' x 6' area rug that is a natural straw color. I have picked up numerous accessories and decorations all summer at Big Lots, The Pottery, thrift stores and garage sales. Stuff like a big tin sun, some sea birds, a turtle, shells from my trip to Tybee, tin candle holders. I want some artificial ficus trees or some other type of plant to place tiny white lights on. I want to purchase some of the bamboo or straw shades that I can use for additional privacy when wanted.

The construction crew says they will wrap up in three weeks, IF there are no more snags. Hmmmm. Of course, I would love to be able to decorate for Halloween. I am very big on decorating for Halloween and Christmas.

I am also hoping it is ready by Arthur's birthday (10/26), so that we can sit on the porch and enjoy cake and ice cream.

Wow. I have a lot of hopes and dreams.

No comments: