Sunday, September 21, 2008

Movie Reviews

I saw two new movies this weekend. Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys and The Women.

Friday night I met Arthur for dinner and a movie. We had dinner at Applebees. Applebees has Weight Watcher's meals on the menu. I ordered steak and veggies, she ordered a spinach salad with grilled chicken. When our plates arrived, we immediately divided our respective plates in half and gave each other half our the meal. That way, we had a good variety of food and it is so much for satisfying when you don't have to sit and think, gee, wish I'd ordered that! Such FUN!

After dinner, Courage joined up with us at the theater. We all settled in for the movie with our Kid's Packs. I have to say, Tyler Perry knows how to write and produce movies for women. He just has a way of knowing what makes women tick, what makes us mad, sad, glad. The Family that Preys will appeal to women who hate other women who go after other women's men. If you like man/woman drama, this is your movie. There is also some sister stuff, and some mom and daughter stuff, and girlfriend stuff. All this and plus a lesson or two. Good movie. I give it a thumbs up.

Saturday evening I got a last minute invite to join my Aunt J. and Cousin SRM to see a movie. The Women was okay. The entire cast of this movie is female. Even on busy sidewalks, you don't see a man. Again, we visit a group of women and the hardships they endure, and how it affects everybody. Meg Ryan is still not the same since she got the lip thing done, but this is a tiny bit closer to the 'old' Meg. The 'old' Meg was You've Got Mail. Anyways, you will recognize a lot of familiar faces in this 1930's remake and yeah, it has a message too. But it's not quite as 'comfortable' feeling as the Tyler Perry movie. I would give it a thumb-in-between.

Either one is good for Ladies Night Out. The guys...not so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI, I think it is Tyler Perry not Perry Tyler.

Carolyn Chapple said...

Dear Anonymous - You are right! It is Tyler Perry (I got it wrong in the first two mentions). I will make changes. Thanks so much!