Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Bad News, The Good News


The bad news first...I didn't get the job at Gwinnett County. I have a cousin who works in this particular department and she is the one who told me about the job opening. She had told me not to get my hopes up because, a) the job openings were not posted, b) her boss always hires his friends, relatives, or the mom, sister, wife or girlfriend of his friends or relatives, and c) if no friends or relatives available, he would sometimes hire young, pretty, college girls. I thought maybe she was exaggerating. So I submitted my resume, got a call for a job interview, and felt like the interview was a huge success. My daughter Courage did the same routine for a part time job in the same department. After all, she is a young, pretty, college student. (He has hired two mother-daughter teams in the past-that gave me hope for both of us!) I even got word from my cousin later that day that he said I sure 'interviewed well'.

I have learned from past experiences that managers who do not post job openings already have in mind who they are going to hire. But, they interview a few people to say they followed the rules. I also know from my years of experience, that once a manager gets away with the practice of hiring friends and relatives, they will continue to do so. But, I decided to give the guy the benefit of a doubt.

I got the news today from my cousin, not the man I interviewed with (or the other three who sat in on the interview). She was told today that his friend's mother got the full time job, and the sister of a friend of the 2nd in charge got the part time job. So I guess she is right, he does not hire by qualification, but by whom they are related to. According to my cousin, they have two people in her department right now who do not have any prior computer experience, and cannot type, but landed data entry positions. One is the mother of (another) friend of his, the other is a friend of a friend of his who works in magistrate court one floor up. My cousin stays stressed constantly because she ends up doing the work for these two ladies. She was reprimanded this week for making one of these women cry after she told her she was tired of doing her work.

There is a reason I (nor Courage) was hired for these positions. I think it is this; We are above this!

And the man didn't have the guts (not the words I really want to use) to call either of us to tell us his decision. Not really the kind of man I want to work for anyways.

The Good News! I don't have to deal with those idiots five days a week!

1 comment:

Bloggah said...

That's a good way to look at it. It doesn't sound like it would be a healthy environment.